Monday, March 30, 2009

Serving Art: new artist Shelia Bradley


Ceramic artist Shelia Bradley has been considered for previous Fired Works; we're quite happy that she is finally able to participate this year. Her work is quite vibrant, and she lets her love of cooking inspire her work. Read her artist statement below:


Shelia Bradley

Loving art and being an artist all my life has caused me to be led down many diverse paths, from graphic designer to chef. The sum of these experiences has served me well and left me with the belief that all art, no matter what we are drawn to as the observer, or what we decide to touch as the artist, comes from a place locked deep inside all of us. It is a soulful search to make a connection, a longing for a moment of clarity, a complete and reconciled thought, a state of joy that delivers us from the antagonists in life and the complexities and inconvenience of being human.

My connection and love affair began when I was a child as I played with clay for many hours at the waters edge, on the riverbank in North Carolina. Those cherished memories followed me into young adulthood when I was compelled to take a pottery class. I remember crying and being overcome with the feeling that I had, at last, come home.

Since 2005, I have devoted all of my creative energy into exploring the world of clay. The focus of my work revolves around and is inspired by my love of food and the joy that comes from preparing it. I am completely absorbed with the opportunity to create a functional pot based on the food I would like to see in it. I have become aware that the elements of cooking and making a pot are one in the same, for me. Although I am admittedly attached to the outcome, I am profoundly in love with the process.

I work, for the most part, on the wheel turning out functional pieces. I like the smooth, bright surface of porcelain like clay body. I glaze fire for stoneware in gas reduction to cone 10. I enjoy creating a certain attitude about the piece beyond its shape. The variety of shapes and the mixed bag of surface decoration that I use excite me like having a bounty of fresh herbs and exotic spices at my fingertips. I have many favorites and cannot limit myself. Some would say that I am indulgent, and that could be true, but I cannot live in a world without daring to experience the joy of exploration. My fondest hope is that I can invite hands to touch, persuade eyes to see and compel the user to enjoy every aspect of the piece, to have the piece become a part of someone’s life through daily use.

I have attended several Craft Schools on work study, including Penland in North Carolina, Arrowmont and Shakerag in Tennessee. I have been a continual student at Good Dirt Studio in Athens Ga., and regularly attend many workshops and seminars. I am an instructor at Good Dirt and have taught adult education classes at Gainesville State College in Gainesville Ga. I work from my studio at home in Bishop Ga., producing work for a number of galleries and pottery shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment