Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Familiar "Faces"



For those of you who receive Macon Arts Ovations magazine, this image is quite familiar. Mark Knott, a ceramic artist out of Suwanee, GA, gained the cover of Ovations with his beautiful lidded jar. His colors are also familiar around Macon, for those who remember last year's Macon Magazine, which featured one of his teapots on the cover.



Mark Knott


My work is a reflection of my history, a confluence of my life experiences.


My ceramic lineage traces back to Kansas City and Ken Ferguson. Ken instilled a powerful work ethic combined with individual artistic growth. My time at Kansas City allowed me to build a strong ceramic foundation and a deep personal well.


My work at present is grounded in the historical ceramic tradition of functional pottery.


The forms that interest me most reflect my love of the ocean; boats, water, continual movement, and repetitive patterns. These forms are softened by an ever changing color pallet and the atmosphere of my soda kiln. In contrast to the looseness of my forms are the inherent vertical influences of grain silos and water towers.


I use both stoneware and porcelain in my work. Decorative issues are addressed by various slips, which add depth and texture to the work. The work is then dealt with individually and multiple glazes are applied by cut sponge stamps, brushes, and dipping and/or pouring. The glazes are allowed to interact creating secondary patterning. The work is then soda fired to cone 6, or approximately 2250 F. Soda kilns tend to enhance and brighten the glazes and is sometimes referred to as the kinder, gentler little sister of salt firing. In my case, the soft blues, turquoises, and yellows, in contrast with the clay bodies and slips complement each other in a vibrant, striking manner.


While I do not want remove myself from the historical aspects of ceramics, I find it necessary to pursue new ideas and at times look beyond the functionality of work.


No comments:

Post a Comment